Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The 21st Century Learner-Reflections

I know its imperative to keep up with technology. I have been watching the world change around me with the Iphone, Ipad, twitter, you tube, etc.... and sometimes I feel a little panicked.  At times it feels as if I am going to get left behind. I know that technology has changed education. The generation of new learners has been opened up to a new way of teaching themselves about things they want to know about. Why would a student want to listen to a teacher lecture about an historical event when they can find vidoes, chats, and endless information about it themselves on their own terms? I consider myself a lifelong learner and even I know that my motivation has increased knowing what resources have now been made available by technology. A perfect example is the Ken Robinson video: "Changing Education Paradigms". This was the most influential resource that I came across in the readings. And I know why. I got the message. But the message was delivered in the way that I needed it. I could see it, hear it, and it was entertaining. I was learning on my terms. It talks about the "academic" vs. the "non academic" person. People were judged on the view that the mind should work a certain way. The old model of education was alienating many students who felt their was no purpose in school. I can relate to this as I reflect on my education growin up.

 Have we really changed this paradigm?


 My concern is adaptation with the educational environments for today's younger learner. I am not only an educator, but a parent. I have two children that are about to enter the public school system in Indiana. I have no idea if their education environment is going to reflect adaption of our new technological world. I am aware that my children will be entering school with a different mind set about how they learn. Both my 5 year old daugher and three year old son choose to spend alot of their free time on my I pad. It's amazing to me to watch their engagement, learning, and creavity. I know this has impacted their learning paradigms. This is why I chose to create my video based on my daughter who will be entering Kindergarten.  Is the Indiana Public School system equipped to teach my daughter with the current resources? Will she flourish or will she be restricted in her learning?
I based my video on three of the characteristics that new learners want in their education. They want freedom, the ablility to create, and personalized learning.

Check out my video that addresses this issue if my 5 year old new learner is going to be engaged enough to keep her motivated.

<iframe src="http://www.xtranormal.com/xtraplayr/13540795/the-new-kindergarten-student" width="504" height="312" frameborder="0"></iframe>









No comments:

Post a Comment